3 MINDFUL STEPS TO AVOID THE PITFALLS OF COMPARISON


You’ve already made the choice to show up for yourself and build that brand, start that project /blog, and create a lifestyle that honors your needs and desires, right? How amazing!

But when it comes to finding motivation, we’ve all crossed that line – once or twice – between finding inspiration from others and completely losing the plot in endless comparison to their success, brilliance, and (perceived) 100% got-it-together-ness. How could we not get lost in the sheer design wonder of Rachel MacDonald's site or the she-makes-it-look-messy-and-beautiful authenticity of Mara Glatzel?

I have been in the comparison pit, bought the t-shirt, and made a scrapbook of my exploits to prove it. I’ve even extended my stay. Because staying in that mindset of comparing keeps us from hunkering down and doing the hard work of our lives – the hard work that leads to feelings of insecurity and vulnerability.

So, of course we compare. There’s - temporary - comfort in staying stuck and safe. 

The true relief lies in reeling in our minds and steering them back to what got us started in the first place. Insert this week's #MomentofOm.

By taking a #momentofom, you are going to find empowerment, release from comparison + engagement w YOUR process.Tweet: Take a #momentofom: find empowerment, release from comparison + engagement w YOUR process. via @omplusom http://ctt.ec/8Plke+ tweet this text!

When I notice my heart rate racing, my mind fritzing like an electric wire gone rogue because I’ll never measure up, I pause and get back to reality. The truth is I don’t want what others have and if I did, that’s just too bad, it’s not mine. What I have are my feet, headed in the direction of my choosing, in this moment alone. To me, that's freeing.
                                                                                                                                                                                             via adorkably.net


OM YOUR WAY OUT OF THE COMPARISON GAME:

> Take a breather. Put down that book, turn off that screen, put a pause on your mental jumping jacks. Return to the moment, using your senses and your breathing as anchors. This puts a stop to the worrying and projecting into the future. And, oh, does that feel nice.

> Ask yourself WHY? instead of WHAT? For me, what I want is to build my blog and maybe make some gas money while at it. And I want to do that because I want to live an authentic life. The why is connecting with people in quality ways, not in quantity or for popularity. When we live by our values, first, and goals, second, we put the ball back in our court. Focusing on what makes our lives full, allows us to let go of comparison, and frees up emotional + mental space for our own achievement. 

> Repeat to yourself: I don’t have to be perfect. I’m doing the best I can.

Damn if I don’t feel better already!

All you have to do is you, and I promise you babe, that's going to be enough. 

TELL ME, BABES: What do you do when you’re overwhelmed by the Comparison Game?
Leave a comment!

P.S. Want more on using mindfulness + self compassion to achieve your goals? Check out my ebook! 
And don't miss November's free series, Healing Self Sabotage. Join da mailing list! 





No comments:

Post a Comment